Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Final Countdown - Thank you NJCAA Hockey

February 23, 2017

Well today we are on the eve of the final NJCAA National Tournament. After this tournament NJCAA Hockey will no longer be a sport through the National Junior College Athletic Association. It is bittersweet as this is a good place for many kids to start their hockey and schooling and there is so many good people involved at our level through the years and currently. I was a player in 1996-1998 when we had many teams at the National level. I got a great start, met some great people, and saw some great places. In 1998 I played on a Championship team that we won in Buffalo, NY. I still keep in touch with many guys. I also got a great start on my education by some great instructors and coaches. In 2001 I got hired at MSU-Bottineau and was ready for my 5 year plan. Well I am in year 16 and still get that feeling in my stomach before play-offs or National Tournaments.  There are so many good guys who have been involved since I started coaching at the Juco level. We had a great group of coaches with Earl Utter, Pat Martin, Shom Datta, Matt Alvey, Garry Rost and Craig Chamberlain to name a few over the years. Great memories of being fortunate to win championships with young men who worked there tails off for me.  Winning one at home was very special but I can honestly say every one that we won had special memories and I remember them like it was yesterday.  We had great games and tournaments at Morrisville. I still can't believe we lost to them, two years in a row, in overtime, scored by the same player, on the same spot on the ice. Even though we spent a lot of money having to come out for the tournament, it was worth it and  I am very proud because we kept Juco hockey alive at the National Level. Unfortunately we have run out of time and teams. We have made many good memories on these trips, and I know we will continue in the future but it won't be the same.  I hope we can win #10 this weekend and bring back the final one to Bottineau.  It was a good run for NJCAA Hockey and we were happy to be a part of it.  I want to thank all our players past and present for all we have done at our NJCAA level, all the success of Lumberjack Hockey is because of the people we have had wearing the Jersey.  Thank you to all the coaches, we have gone against over the years. We have had some good battles and that respect was always there, as I know how hard you worked for your programs. It was a pleasure playing you and your teams at the National Tournaments over the years.  Thank you to all the Administration at the NJCAA level. You guys were always fair and tried to help expand our sport the past 7 years or so to keep it alive. Thanks to Tom LaPuma, Mick McDaniel, Jeff Wiley, Buster Gilliss, Kevin Salisbury, Michael Teague, Brian Beck, Mary Ellen Leicht, and I am sure I am missing a few.  Thank you to Broome CC for hosting this last championship and Brett, Michael, and John do a fantastic job and we are happy to be here. Hopefully one day we will have NJCAA Hockey again.  Let's have a great final weekend of Hockey and as always.....LONG LIVE THOSE LUMBERJACKS